How to use Google Drive 2021 complete use google drive

Hey everyone today I want to show you how you can both get and also use Google Drive. 

Google Drive is a cloud storage provider. If you've ever used Apple's iCloud or Microsoft's OneDrive, this is Google's version of it. But still, what does it mean to be a cloud storage provider. 

{tocify} $title={Table of Contents}

Google Drive Complete Tips and Tricks 

Well, typically when you work on let's say a document on your computer, you'll save it on your computer. 

How to use Google Drive 2021 complete use google drive

So you have a local copy with Google Drive, you can save it on Drive and that's basically Google's computer so you're saving it elsewhere. 

What is Google Drive and why would you ever want to use it? 

Now Google doesn't call their computers, they're called servers and then keep them in data centers all over the world, but you might be wondering. why would I ever want to do that? 

What are the benefits to use Google Drive

There are many benefits to storing files in Google Drive. First off, your files are backed up. So let's say if something were to happen to your computer at home well when you store it in Drive. 

There are many copies on many different servers, all over the world. 

Another benefit you can access your files, wherever you are. let's say you're traveling, maybe you're in Europe, maybe you're in Africa or wherever you happen to be, if you can get onto the internet, you can get to your files. 

Also another benefit is Google's really good at search, that's what they're known for now with Google Drive, you can search for anything. It could be text within a photo.

It could be just a description of a photo you took it could be for specific files and their search will get that file extremely fast. 

Lastly the biggest benefits of working on files that you have stored in the cloud, is that you can work with others on that file. 

In the past, if you wanted to work with others, you'd have to email to them, then they'd email it back, and then you probably get different versions with Google Drive you simply share a link and then you can all work on the same file together. 

So there are lots of benefits to working in the cloud. Why don't we jump on the PC now and see how we can start taking advantage of Google Drive.

Get Drive on the web

You can access Google Drive across all of your different devices you can get it on the web on your PC and on mobile and I'll briefly show you how you can get it across all of these different devices, by far one of the most popular ways to access Google Drive is on the web. 

To access drive on the web, you can simply type in drive.google.com and that will drop you directly in Google Drive. 

Alternatively, when you're on any Google product on the web, up in the top right hand corner you have what's called the waffle menu see it kind of looks like a waffle. 

When you click on that, this shows you all of your different Google Apps. There's one over here called drive it kind of has a triangle icon, you can simply click on that, if you want quicker access in the future. 

You can also click on the Drive icon and drag it to a more prominent position. There, now it's even easier to get back to how to use google drive 2021. 

Get Drive on your PC

You can also install Google Drive on your PC the benefit of this is you can access all of your Google Drive files from a folder on your PC. 

You can also set up your PC to synchronize files and folders with Google Drive automatically to get the backup and sync tool simply go up to the top right hand corner and click on the Settings gear within the settings gear click on GED drive from desktop. 

On the next page and scroll down and you'll see a download option for the backup and sync tool. Later on in this tutorial we'll walk through how backup and sync works. 

Get Drive on Android or iPhone

How to use Google Drive 2021 : Lastly, you can also get Google Drive on your phone if you use an iPhone head to the app store.

If you're on an Android phone head to the Play Store within the app store all click on search, and within the search field simply search for Google Drive. Once you finish searching for Google Drive. 

Here you'll see a result for Google Drive, if you don't have it yet, you can click on Install. In my case I already have it so I'll simply click on Open.

Upload file

We are now in Google Drive on the web and this is likely the interface that you will end up using most often. 

And by the way, Congratulations, you now have your very own cloud storage account in the introduction, it might have sounded a little bit intimidating but it's actually really easy to set up. 

Now within Google Drive likely the first thing that you'll want to do is to put one of your files into the cloud.

So you can start taking advantage of all of those benefits that I called out, and by far the easiest way to get a file into the cloud is to simply select a file from your computer and then you can simply drag and drop it into Google Drive. 

Here I have a Word document and all let go of it and here you see it uploads file into the cloud.

Upload folder

Along with uploading individual files and maybe you have an entire folder that you'd like to put into Google Drive Well, you can upload it the exact same way. 

Here I have a folder from my PC and once again I'll simply drag and drop it onto Google Drive, and here it'll upload the entire folder into drive and getting content in is very easy.

New menu

Up in the top left hand corner google drive dashboard I also have this big and prominent new button. 

When I click on this here too I can upload an individual file and I could also upload a folder so just another way to get content up. I don't just have to start working from existing content on my PC.

Create new doc, sheet, slide or others

Google drive dashboard down below I can also start new blank documents sheets slides, and there are many other types of Google content that I can start creating. 

Now let's say I don't want to create a blank document I can also hover over this arrow, and I can start from a template up on top of this drive menu.

Create new folder

There's the option to create a new folder, just like any other file manager you can use folders to organize all of your content. I'm going to go ahead and create a folder. 

This opens up a prompts to name my folder I'm going to call this financials. Once I'm all done, I'll click on Create here now I see my new folder to organize content just like any other file manager I can click on one of my files and press and hold and I can drop it in folders to start organizing content, along with the new menu I can also simply access it by right clicking when I right click this opens up the same exact menu. 

So once again, Google makes it extremely easy to get your content into Google Drive.

How to Search & use Google Drive

I now have many of my different files showing up within Google Drive. 

The benefit is these files are now backed up and I can access these from anywhere. One of the other massive benefits of Google Drive is I can very easily get back to any of my files, and the first way to do that is using the search field up here. 

When I search I could search for content within files, and it's not just limited to documents I can search within PDFs and also within images here for example I have a PDF with a text f1 21 q1. 

When I search here I see both a document and a PDF, so it could search within PDFs back on the search results. 

Let's say that I wasn't able to find what I'm looking for. Over on the right hand side of the search field I can expose additional search options. 

And here I can set different filters to help me find the file that I'm looking for search is all well and good but sometimes you don't know exactly what you're looking for. 

Quick Access

And that's where Quick Access comes in this surface is all of the documents and all the content that's most relevant to you. 

So let's say that maybe someone just shared a document with you or maybe you open a document a lot, Google looks at all of these different signals of how you interact with your documents.

Then it recommends the most relevant documents to you. And here I see this PDF file I just opened it and I probably want to go back to it. Here I see it's in the first position of quick access. So once again, these are benefits with search quick access that you wouldn't get which is documents on your PC.

My Drive view

How to use Google Drive : Down below I see the core of the Google Drive experience here I see all of my different files and I see all of my different folders and just like we looked at before I can organize drag and drop the files wherever I want to organize this view, how I want it, along with being able to organize the files.

 I can also adjust this view to help me find what I'm looking for here for instance right now it's organized by the name. 

I can also organize it by last modified if I'd rather see it in a different sort order. I can also change the way all of these files are visualized up in the top right hand corner I can toggle between the ListView which I currently have, and the grid view which is a more visual way of getting back to your files within drive if I select one of my files, I'll see additional controls appear across the top. 

Share links with people & groups

Let's briefly walk through what you can do with these. 

The first one is get link. This allows you to generate a link that you can then share with others, so they can also access the file down below you can set permissions on the file, right next to that there's also another way you can share a file and you can share with specific individuals. 

Now you could toggle back and forth between getting a link and then also sharing with people or groups here too when you click on the Settings gear you could set your permissions on the file when you share it. 

Once I share a file with someone here I'll see this shared icon appear next to the title, indicating that this file has been shared back on top and next to the sharing icons.

Additional file actions

I also have the option to preview a file, not only can I preview a file but I have some additional controls, I can comment on a file I could print it or I can download the file back to my PC. 

Moving along, I can also remove a file if I want to delete it and then I have a context menu with additional actions that I can take on a file, the last icon up here is the details icon.

When I click on there, I can see all the details related to the file and most importantly, I can see all of the activity. Right now I just uploaded this file but once I started sharing it and working with others. 

Additional activity will show up in here. Once again, Google Drive provides many different ways to get to the most popular actions here when I have the file selected, I can go up here but I can also simply right click on the file, and this will show a menu with additional actions. 

Now some of the more interesting ones in this list, I can add it to start and when I add it to start, it'll show up within the starting category. In a moment we'll take a look at how that works. And for now I'll simply store the file Mac within the menu I can also manage versions.

 Let's say that I'm working with others on let's say a document or a presentation, I can go back to previous versions if let's say some changes happen that I didn't want.

Folder actions

Just like with files I can also select a folder and then right click on the folder and that'll expose a similar context menu here too I could star folders and interestingly.

I can also change the color to help me find this folder more easily for folders as well I can even go ahead and share an entire folder. 

So let's say I'm working with a team and we all want to share files with one another, I can set up a folder and then I could share the folder with others and we could all drop our files there. 

My Drive view

Now that we've looked at some of the core file management capabilities let's shift our attention over on the left hand side, where we have these different views. 

By default, I'm in the my drive and view and the my drive view shows me all of my content so here I see my main root folder or the main my drive view and underneath that I see all of the sub folders that I have.

Computers view

Now down below I have an option called computers and this will only show up. 

If you set up the get drive for desktop app, otherwise you won't have the computers option. This allows you to see any of the files that you've synced onto drive from your computer. 

Shard with me view

How to use Google Drive :The next option is shared with me and just like the name implies, I can see any folders or any files that others have shared with me on this list. 

Now one of the nice things is you might have files in here that have been shared with you, but you want to be able to see that file within your my drive view. 

What's nice here is I can simply right click on an option, and within here I can add a shortcut to drive. This opens up a prompt and I can define where I want the shortcut to show up all added to my drive and then click on Add shortcut. 

When I go back to the My Drive view here I see the shortcut to this shared folder. So in a sense, it's almost like having my own folder. 

This is especially helpful if let's say you're working on a group project, and all of you are contributing to one folder, you can have everyone add a shortcut to that folder within their my drive view, and that way it's extremely easy to access. 

Recent view

Under shared with me there's the recent view and it shows me all of the recent files that I've interacted with. So whether it's because I opened a file maybe I uploaded a file or maybe I modified a file. Anytime I interact with a file, it'll show up on this recent list. 

Now you'd be surprised but typically when you're working on files, you'll go back again and again to the files that you've worked on recently. This is an extremely valuable view.

Starred view

Next we have the starred view and any file or folder that i star shows up here.

So this is in a sense like painting a document. If it's in say a document or a file that you go back to often, you can start and that way you have easy access to it. 

Trash view

The last few I have here is my trash and when I click on this, I can see all of my different folders and files that I've recently deleted. 

And after 30 days, they'll be automatically deleted but here too. I can also empty the trash proactively.

Storage usage

At the very bottom I can also look at my storage and when I click into storage I get this helpful view, showing me what files are using up most of my storage.

Now one thing that's interesting, you'll notice that PowerPoint files Word documents or graphics and they all consume some of my storage space. 

However, all of the Google file formats, whether it's Docs, Sheets, or slides, you'll notice that they use up zero bytes. 

I've always thought it would be interesting if I simply created presentations with all of my photos that wouldn't use up any Google Drive space. 

Google backup & sync desktop app

How to use Google Drive :Now that we've looked at how you can use Google Drive on the web. I also want to show you how you can use Google Drive on your desktop with a backup and sync app. 

Once you install the backup and sync app, you'll see a few extra things on your desktop. Here I have a new folder called Google Drive. When I click on this, this will show me all of the different files that I have in Google Drive and I can access all of them directly from my desktop using File Explorer. 

I also have another folder called marketing flyers, and I've set this up to sync with Google Drive, you'll see a green checkmark here and this indicates that this folder is also synced in Google Drive, along with the folders on my desktop. 

I also have a new icon in my system tray for the backup and sync app. When I click on this, I can see all of the files that have synced with Google Drive. 

When I hover over, I can very quickly share those files, just like I could on the wind up above I have some quick shortcuts to view all of my Google Drive files in File Explorer, I can also view them on the web or within Google Photos. 

When I click on the ellipses and let's go down to preferences to see what we can do there within preferences I can define what folders that I want to sync with Google Drive here earlier I showed you my marketing flyers folder and there was this green checkmark here. 

Here I've indicated that I want to sync, this folder with Google Drive. Over on the left hand side I can also click on Google Drive. And here I have it set up so whatever files I have in Google Drive also gets synced with my computer. 

So before I walk through a few different ways how you can get files into Google Drive by dragging and dropping are simply creating on the web. Instead, I can also have Google Drive do all of that for me, and whatever files I have on my computer will be automatically synced with Google Drive. 

So I really don't have to do anything to backup my content. 

Drive mobile app

How to use Google Drive 2021 :Lastly, I want to show you how you can use Google Drive on your phone. 

Here I have Google Drive open and it's mainly focused on getting back to and viewing files here at the top I have access to drive search and just like on the web, 

I can very quickly and easily find whatever file I'm looking for here I have the Quick Access where 

I see some of the files that I've recently interacted with down below I can view all of my starred files right here so just another way to get back to the files that I care about. 

I can also click on shared with me and here I get a quick view of all of the files that have been shared with me. Lastly, if I click on files, this is the my drive view where I can see all of my files directly within the app. So this is another nice way to get back to your files regardless of where you are just using your phone. 

All right. Well that was a quick look at how you can start using Google Drive. if you want to see me cover any other topics in the future, leave a comment down below. 

Alright, that's all I have for you today. I hope you enjoyed and I hope to see you next time.bye.

Admin

All about Gaming PC related Reviews also Buying guides & test bunch of best Gaming Laptops, Monitors, Computers parts, Mouse, Keyboards, gaming PC Components, Eventually we started covering topics such as Gaming Headset, Micrpophone, graphics cards (GPU), Nvidia Rtx GPU, AMD & Intel Processor (Cpu), best mechanical gaming Keyboard, Gaming Mouse, best refresh rate for gaming monitors, best cpu for gaming 2021, SMPS, RAM, SSD, HDD, Motherboards,best cpu water cooler, guides and comparison. instagram facebook

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post